Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Dropping in on honest Abe


So guess what? My car got towed AGAIN! I couldn't believe it. In the end I got it back for free and everything was ok, but man... I really dislike those tow truck folk and their ridiculous policies.

Today we drove downtown to DC and went to a few of the sights. We walked by the Washington monument (which is bigger than you might think), the WWII monument and stopped by the Lincoln Memorial. I was really impressed with the Lincoln Memorial. On Lincoln's right the Gettysburg address is carved in the wall. To his left is his inaugural speech from his second term. I was really impressed with the inaugural speech-- it quotes the Bible several times and makes several references to God. Standing in the memorial I had a few minutes to think about the speech and about how lucky we are to live in this free country. It was great to have those patriotic feelings stirred up again. I can't wait for the fourth of July! What better place could you be in for the celebration of our freedom than the capitol? America rocks. We really do live in the greatest country in the world.

2 comments:

Kaedi said...

Oh geez, you might have an Indiana moment on the 4th. Remind me to tell you about the time I went to DC for Independence Day and ended up on a roof with soot all over me. T'was less than awesome.

Sara Rae said...

Did you know that if you look really close you can actually see the Abe statue on the back of the penny. I would never have looked if it weren't for those dang 1st graders:) who knew?